Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Workshop Thread: For characters in the works!

+16
sournote103
Zylo
BigBurkhart
turtleOracle
poizaz
Captain Combusken
Saint Game
truebug
cephalopodAscendant
Harvest Ty
gloomyMoron
CrimsonMage
LoganAura
Shailsnic
arcaneScribbler
Todd Ingram
20 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Workshop Thread: For characters in the works! - Page 2 Empty Re: Workshop Thread: For characters in the works!

Post by Todd Ingram Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:20 pm

Harvest has an idea for a character he'd like to run by us:
Harvest Ty wrote:
I have an idea for a character...

ChinaBlosque(or Chi)
Pile Driver Micro-Goomba(With a coon tail)

~S Grade Vision 10% (Note Capsule)
+Focus
+Creativity

~B Grade Concord 40%
+Intuition
+Perception
-Depression
-Anxiety

~A Grade Relief 35%
+Sincerity
+Generosity
-Naivete

~A Grade Blithe 15%

+Playfulness
-Bluntness

I've been trying to get a more mother-like character figure here who genuinely cares about others but often fails to take care of herself.

Chi came from a large Goomba family in the Dry Desert, she was born mute at birth. Her father was fired from his job as a desert guard, leaving her mom and her to pull the money in for there large Goomba family.

Any thoughts on where to take this?

Personally, I think the relief and concord work very well for this character and their motherly instincts. The Vision, I'm a little confused about.
Todd Ingram
Todd Ingram
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Workshop Thread: For characters in the works! - Page 2 Empty Re: Workshop Thread: For characters in the works!

Post by Shailsnic Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:22 pm

The Vision should be replaced with Ardent considering the main objective is to go for a mother-like character.

I also notice a distinct lack of Mend, that's kinda something that'd be useful as well.
Shailsnic
Shailsnic
Artisan Smith
Artisan Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by arcaneScribbler Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:33 pm

Umm, what's imgur? I used photobucket... maybe like this? Sorry for all the spaces.

http: //i760. photobucket. com /albums /xx242 /hypernirani /PuniandJabby. png

Anyway, personality-wise, I was thinking of doing these:

Puni:
Mend- good for heroes
+ Selflessness, Empathy, Compassion
- Insecurity, Instability, Envy
Aegis- good as a foundation
+ Steadfastness, Conviction, Security, Hope
- Pride, Stubbornness, Recklessness
Concord- good for peace-makers
+ Tactfulness, Perception, Intuition
- Nosiness, Depression, Anxiety
Sublime- good for performers & showboaters - just a splash of this? Or maybe a capsule?
+ Inspiration, Imagination, Individuality
- Melodrama, Abstraction, Vanity

Jabby:
Relief - good for caretakers
+ Generosity, Sincerity, Inner Peace
- Naivete, Inaccessibility, Forgetfulness
Turnabout- good for eccentrics - just a splash, for the acrophobia
+ Uniqueness, Quirkiness
- Overly disturbing tendencies
Mend- good for heroes
+ Selflessness, Empathy, Compassion
- Insecurity, Instability, Envy
...And one more... Maybe Flow? Would Flow work for the Jabby?
arcaneScribbler
arcaneScribbler
5-Star Anvilman
5-Star Anvilman

Back to top Go down

Post by Todd Ingram Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:34 pm

Workshop Thread: For characters in the works! - Page 2 PuniandJabby

I think this'll do it.
Todd Ingram
Todd Ingram
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by arcaneScribbler Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:35 pm

Todd I. wrote:Harvest has an idea for a character he'd like to run by us:
Harvest Ty wrote:
I have an idea for a character...

ChinaBlosque(or Chi)

+Focus
+Creativity

~B Grade Concord 40%
+Intuition
+Perception
-Depression
-Anxiety

~A Grade Relief 35%
+Sincerity
+Generosity
-Naivete

~A Grade Blithe 15%

+Playfulness
-Bluntness

I've been trying to get a more mother-like character figure here who genuinely cares about others but often fails to take care of herself.

Chi came from a large Goomba family in the Dry Desert, she was born mute at birth. Her father was fired from his job as a desert guard, leaving her mom and her to pull the money in for there large Goomba family.

Any thoughts on where to take this?

Personally, I think the relief and concord work very well for this character and their motherly instincts. The Vision, I'm a little confused about.

...Huh. So I'm not the only one playing with disabled characters... I have no idea really, since I'm so new to this, but, um, I agree with relief and concord!
arcaneScribbler
arcaneScribbler
5-Star Anvilman
5-Star Anvilman

Back to top Go down

Post by LoganAura Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:36 pm

Humors don't always give all of the traits listed, just a note. But I really like the designs and what you have Very Happy
LoganAura
LoganAura
Artisan Smith
Artisan Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by arcaneScribbler Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:38 pm

Thanks Todd! I still can't do that yet, though. The forum blocks me. :/

Thanks, Logan! I know they don't; I was just listing all the traits from the Wiki. ^_^; What kind of personalities would my combos make, though...? I have trouble figuring it out...
arcaneScribbler
arcaneScribbler
5-Star Anvilman
5-Star Anvilman

Back to top Go down

Post by gloomyMoron Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:48 pm

arcaneScribbler wrote:Thanks Todd! I still can't do that yet, though. The forum blocks me. :/

Thanks, Logan! I know they don't; I was just listing all the traits from the Wiki. ^_^; What kind of personalities would my combos make, though...? I have trouble figuring it out...

You're going for a Mother-type right? So Focus is probably what the Shine would give you. Concord would probably net you Perception and Anxiety. Relief would probably be Sincerity and Naivety. And Blithe could net you playfulness and bluntness.

So:

+Focus
+Perception
-Anxiety
+Sincerity
-Naivety
+Playfulness
-Bluntness

It all about equals out. If you removed or replaced a humor, you could probably eliminate a Negative Trait if you chose one that negated it instead of complimented it. In my mind, you have chosen "complimentary Humors". If you are focused and perceptive, you are prone to anxiety. If you are perceptive and sincere, you tend to be blunt. If you are playful and sincere, you tend to be naive. They complement each other well on both Positive and Negative traits. That's why sometimes it is good to have a humor that is non-complementary to the others. At least, that's my approach to it.
gloomyMoron
gloomyMoron
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Shailsnic Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:49 pm

gloomy, Harvest Ty (who for some reason isn't in the thread yet) is the one going for the motherly character, arcane is the one making a duo.
Shailsnic
Shailsnic
Artisan Smith
Artisan Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by gloomyMoron Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:55 pm

Woops. I am blind. DERP. Right. A Duo. Their relationship is important. You can make them very different from each other (and can even avoid the cliche of "Overwhelming Pity and Kindness" if you craft their humors well).

Like, the Jabby doesn't need to pity the Puni in order to want to help it. It could have a selfish reason for doing so (which can be a negative trait). Or, if you craft their back story in such a way, the Jabby could owe a debt to the Puni (either it was saved by the Puni or it owes the Puni money or something). There is a lot you can do with Backstory as well as Humor. So in the case of Duos and the like, work on figuring out what you want their relationship to be.

Edit: Seriously, I am not used to this whole "Name and Avatar on the right" business. It is seriously throwing me off. >.>
gloomyMoron
gloomyMoron
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvest Ty Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:05 am

ChinaBlosque(or Chi)

+Loving

~B Grade Concord 40%
+Intuition
+Perception
-Depression
-Anxiety

~A Grade Relief 30%
+Sincerity
+Generosity
-Naivete

~B Grade Blithe 10%

+Playfulness
-Bluntness

A grade Mend 10%
+Compassion
+Empathy
-Insecurity

X'D Now we have a super complex Recipe, I need to probably chop something off for soul stability though. Thanks guys for the suggestions!
Harvest Ty
Harvest Ty
Schism Rustler
Schism Rustler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shailsnic Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:08 am

Nope, nope, you can only have 4 humors, any more and it'll explode.

EDIT: oh wait you noticed that, alright then.
Shailsnic
Shailsnic
Artisan Smith
Artisan Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by arcaneScribbler Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:10 am

gloomyMoron wrote:Woops. I am blind. DERP. Right. A Duo. Their relationship is important. You can make them very different from each other (and can even avoid the cliche of "Overwhelming Pity and Kindness" if you craft their humors well).

Like, the Jabby doesn't need to pity the Puni in order to want to help it. It could have a selfish reason for doing so (which can be a negative trait). Or, if you craft their back story in such a way, the Jabby could owe a debt to the Puni (either it was saved by the Puni or it owes the Puni money or something). There is a lot you can do with Backstory as well as Humor. So in the case of Duos and the like, work on figuring out what you want their relationship to be.

Edit: Seriously, I am not used to this whole "Name and Avatar on the right" business. It is seriously throwing me off. >.>

Oh, umm... I never wanted it to be a pity partnership... I kind of wanted it to be them depending on each other, like, making up for each other's weaknesses and such. And I was thinking of having them be outcasts as far as Boggle Woods is concerned... So, umm, definitely a 'symbiotic' relationship. Good friends, practically family.

...OOH! THE WEIGHT CAN HAVE BEEN THE PUNI'S IDEA~!
arcaneScribbler
arcaneScribbler
5-Star Anvilman
5-Star Anvilman

Back to top Go down

Post by cephalopodAscendant Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:10 am

So I'm working on a couple of characters, and thought I'd share what I have so far for critique and advice. Cole and Isaac are Blooper brothers who would be joined at the hip if Bloopers had hips. Their passion: freestyle dance battling! Cole is the more impulsive and emotional one of the two, with a style that makes up for in energy what it lacks in precision. Isaac, on the other hand, is more calm and cautious, and his technique is second to none. Although their personalities are very different, these two are perpetually the best of friends. In battle, the brothers work as a single unit to perform devastating combo attacks, although they can still go it solo to burn and freeze their opponents, respectively.

As for their Humor makeups: Cole has a mix of Ardent, Blithe, and Shine, while Isaac is made up of Logos, Pragma, and Aegis. I haven't figured out proportions yet, but I'm not going to try to use any Soul Capsules. Any thoughts?
cephalopodAscendant
cephalopodAscendant
Junior Smith
Junior Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvest Ty Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:12 am

Yeah That's why I need to remove one. I'll probally cut Blithe and pour 5% into Mend & the other 5% into Relief.
Harvest Ty
Harvest Ty
Schism Rustler
Schism Rustler

Back to top Go down

Post by gloomyMoron Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:16 am

I tend to like the Rule of Thumb of "No more than three Humors." It works better than four. There are exceptions, of course, but the majority of characters are probably two or three humors. Very few would be four (in my mind). Still, 4 could work, but it would probably increase the negative traits a bit more.

@arcaneScribbler: Ahh. That's good then. It's just I saw a thing about pity earlier and wanted to advocate against that. So, you know why the Puni is considered an outcast, but how is the Jabby an outcast? (I know absolutely nothing about those enemies, and I should probably look it up.) Besides the symbiotic relationship, how do they get along? They need each other to survive, but what are their interactions like? Thinking about those things could help you work on the characters. Do they share any interests? Probably not (at least not in a major way), if they are symbiotic. That means they cover each others weaknesses and add to their strengths. So work out what you want one of them to be, and you get an idea of what the other is. Por ejemplo: If the Puni is strong-willed, courageous, and fool-hardy, the Jabby would be cautious, timid, and cunning. Something like that.
gloomyMoron
gloomyMoron
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvest Ty Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:21 am

Ehh, I probably sound like a bad smith for saying that I prefer for there to be negative traits. I feel like they allow more character growth and can make more complex characters.
Harvest Ty
Harvest Ty
Schism Rustler
Schism Rustler

Back to top Go down

Post by gloomyMoron Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:24 am

Harvest Ty wrote:Ehh, I probably sound like a bad smith for saying that I prefer for there to be negative traits. I feel like they allow more character growth and can make more complex characters.

Nah, negative traits are good. The objective is not "perfection" but "balance". Having negative traits, is part of that balance. Having nothing but positive traits is, itself, a giant negative. It could make a character insufferable and unstable in other ways. They also tend to not make good characters.
gloomyMoron
gloomyMoron
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvest Ty Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:33 am

Yeah, I rp every so often so my built-up resilience to Mary/Gary Sues has grown. I try to balance them and that's why my characters tend to have more negative traits.
Harvest Ty
Harvest Ty
Schism Rustler
Schism Rustler

Back to top Go down

Post by arcaneScribbler Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:37 am

gloomyMoron wrote:I tend to like the Rule of Thumb of "No more than three Humors." It works better than four. There are exceptions, of course, but the majority of characters are probably two or three humors. Very few would be four (in my mind). Still, 4 could work, but it would probably increase the negative traits a bit more.

@arcaneScribbler: Ahh. That's good then. It's just I saw a thing about pity earlier and wanted to advocate against that. So, you know why the Puni is considered an outcast, but how is the Jabby an outcast? (I know absolutely nothing about those enemies, and I should probably look it up.) Besides the symbiotic relationship, how do they get along? They need each other to survive, but what are their interactions like? Thinking about those things could help you work on the characters. Do they share any interests? Probably not (at least not in a major way), if they are symbiotic. That means they cover each others weaknesses and add to their strengths. So work out what you want one of them to be, and you get an idea of what the other is. Por ejemplo: If the Puni is strong-willed, courageous, and fool-hardy, the Jabby would be cautious, timid, and cunning. Something like that.

EDIT: I FIGURED OUT NAMES! And really need to go to sleep already... It's nearly 4:30 AM where I am and I have to get up at 8... -.-;

EDIT2: Added some Humor bottles because I can, fixed a spelling error, and got rid of the 'accent Humor' thing, since they're not actually accents. ^_^;

Punis and Jabbies are natural rivals. They both live inside a tree whose name I can't properly recall in Boggle/Boggly? Woods. In Paper Mario And The Thousand Year Door, the Jabbies sided with the X-Nauts, and I think they're the more violent of the two races? Also, Jabbies are FLYING creatures. My Jabby is afraid of heights and best friends with, not only a Puni, but a BLIND Puni. Also, Boggly Woods is a reeeeaaally confusing place even WITH sight, so blind Puni = difficult life, I think.

I was kind of doing "3 Main Humors + one accent Humor". The Puni's accent would be Sublime, the Jabby's Turnabout. ^_^ ((Orrr not. More like 'these two ended up being healer types, so having them be more grounded with complex mixtures works out well.))

So, currently my recipes are:

Punelipi
Species:
Puni
Mod(s)/Defect(s)?: Blind

? % Mend Mend Humor
+ Empathy, Compassion
- Insecurity, Envy (minor)
? % Aegis Aegis Humor
+ Hope, Steadfastness
- Stubbornness (MAJOR!!!!), Recklessness(?)
? % Concord
+ Perception, Intuition, maybe some Tactfulness
- Nosiness (minor), Depression (minor), Anxiety (not so minor!)
? % Sublime -what would a capsule of this do?
- Abstraction (Vanity isn't a factor at all because BLIND)

Jabberwonky (nickname: Jabbers)
Species:
Jabbi
Mod(s)/Defect(s)?: Groundbound (whatever is the opposite of Para)

? % Relief
+ Generosity, Sincerity
- Naivete
? % Mend Mend Humor
+ Compassion, Empathy?
- Insecurity
? % Flow Flow Humor
+ Calm, Patience
- Carelessness
? % Turnabout -For the Acrophobia, lack of dislike towards Punis, and maybe something else too?
+ Able to see Punis as people instead of as "the enemy"
- Flying being with Acrophobia
- Member of an aggressive race being maybe a bit cowardly?
other: ?

Last edited by arcaneScribbler on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
arcaneScribbler
arcaneScribbler
5-Star Anvilman
5-Star Anvilman

Back to top Go down

Post by truebug Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:38 am

I totally agree with you there, gloomyMoron. Like, that's spot on.

EDIT: WHOA MORE POSTS -- hang on, didn't the Punies and Jabbies reconcile their differences at the end, though?
truebug
truebug
Conspirator
Conspirator

Back to top Go down

Post by arcaneScribbler Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:42 am

truebug wrote:I totally agree with you there, gloomyMoron. Like, that's spot on.

EDIT: WHOA MORE POSTS -- hang on, didn't the Punies and Jabbies reconcile their differences at the end, though?

Hi Pretty Tea Lady TrueBug! Very Happy As for the Punies and Jabbies... ......I... don't remember? It's been AGES since I played the game. BUT! I'm pretty sure the Punies and Jabbies had been feuding since long before the X-Nauts complicated things, so even with a truce I doubt they really were very fond of each other... ^.^;
arcaneScribbler
arcaneScribbler
5-Star Anvilman
5-Star Anvilman

Back to top Go down

Post by gloomyMoron Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:44 am

truebug wrote:I totally agree with you there, gloomyMoron. Like, that's spot on.

Which parts? :mspa: (Man, I miss the :mspa:... we need a ECN version of it, I guess. B.B boggling vacantly?)

But, yeah. Balance is the name of the game, in my mind. Heck, even having slightly more negative traits can be good if the positive traits shine through. Like a "loveable jerk", "thug with a heart of gold", and all those other tropes and memes. As long as you avoid getting cliche about it, having negative traits isn't a terrible thing. Heck, some "negative" traits I would actually consider positive traits in the right circumstances. So, yeah, balance in all things. *ZEN*
gloomyMoron
gloomyMoron
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by arcaneScribbler Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:51 am

gloomyMoron wrote:(Man, I miss the :mspa:... we need a ECN version of it, I guess. B.B boggling vacantly befuddledly in utter bemusement?)

FTFY! Very Happy
arcaneScribbler
arcaneScribbler
5-Star Anvilman
5-Star Anvilman

Back to top Go down

Post by arcaneScribbler Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:41 am

Sorry for double-posting, sort of (two posts in a row, anyway, though they're hours apart), but I came up with both names and modifiers for my Puni and Jabby, which I added to my earlier post via edit. But thanks to the amazing Admin, I can post pictures now, so I might as well repeat my earlier worddump with the addition of pictures~! Also, in my mind, "Blind" and "Groundbound" count as modifiers (like Para-)... Does that make sense?

Punelipi
Species:
Puni
Mod(s)/Defect(s)?: Blind
Workshop Thread: For characters in the works! - Page 2 Punicharacterbase-1
? % Mend
+ Empathy, Compassion
- Insecurity, Envy (minor)
? % Aegis
+ Hope, Steadfastness
- Stubbornness (MAJOR!!!!), Recklessness(?)
? % Concord
+ Perception, Intuition, maybe some Tactfulness
- Nosiness (minor), Depression (minor), Anxiety (not so minor!)
Accent Humor: ? % Sublime -what would a capsule of this do?
- Abstraction (Vanity isn't a factor at all because BLIND)

Jabberwonky (nickname: Jabbers)
Species:
Jabby
Mod(s)/Defect(s)?: Groundbound/"Anti-Para"
Workshop Thread: For characters in the works! - Page 2 Jabbycharacterbase-1
? % Relief
+ Generosity, Sincerity
- Naivete
? % Mend
+ Compassion, Empathy?
- Insecurity
? % Flow
+ Calm, Patience
- Carelessness
Accent Humor: ? % Turnabout -For the Acrophobia, lack of dislike towards Punis, and maybe something else too?
+ Able to see Punis as people instead of as "the enemy"
- Flying being with Acrophobia
- Member of an aggressive race being maybe a bit cowardly?
other: ?

Aaaand what they actually look like rather than just their species templates that I made:
Workshop Thread: For characters in the works! - Page 2 PuniandJabby-1

Last edited by arcaneScribbler on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
arcaneScribbler
arcaneScribbler
5-Star Anvilman
5-Star Anvilman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next