Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Workshop Thread: For characters in the works!

+16
sournote103
Zylo
BigBurkhart
turtleOracle
poizaz
Captain Combusken
Saint Game
truebug
cephalopodAscendant
Harvest Ty
gloomyMoron
CrimsonMage
LoganAura
Shailsnic
arcaneScribbler
Todd Ingram
20 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Workshop Thread: For characters in the works! - Page 3 Empty Re: Workshop Thread: For characters in the works!

Post by Shailsnic Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:52 pm

Captain Combusken wrote:So, I'm planning on smithing a Cleft, and whilst I want to do the Humors, I'm struggling to think of anything creative for acessories/extra frills? I've kinda decided on Iron Cleft, cos they look slightly better and Iron will make an enduring, tough dude, which is what I want.

Here's an idea, instead of spikes, make them look like Crystals or something.
Shailsnic
Shailsnic
Artisan Smith
Artisan Smith

Back to top Go down

Workshop Thread: For characters in the works! - Page 3 Empty Re: Workshop Thread: For characters in the works!

Post by gloomyMoron Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:16 pm

So, this is what I have for the character from my avatar. Thoughts so far?

Workshop Thread: For characters in the works! - Page 3 MrJeevious

Mr. Jeevious
Species: Eerie
Zodiac: Mystery
Dislikes: Bossy people, hot weather, and people who wear socks with flip-flops.

Recipe:
- 30% Grade A Mend (Base)
  • + Empathy
  • + Compassion
  • - Instability

- 25% Grade D Vision
  • + Innovation
  • - Over-complication
  • - Tunnel vision

- 30% Grade B Logos
  • + Reasoning
  • - Superiority Complex

- 15% Grade S Turnabout
  • + Quirkiness

Edit: His name is a double pun. One is obvious, the other might take a minute. :mspa:
gloomyMoron
gloomyMoron
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Todd Ingram Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:37 pm

Turnabout mustache is best mustache.

The recipe looks pretty solid. As said before, I'll be able to judge it better when it has a personality to go with it. I'm interested in seeing how you handle that Grade D Vision.
Todd Ingram
Todd Ingram
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by gloomyMoron Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:01 pm

Todd I. wrote:Turnabout mustache is best mustache.

The recipe looks pretty solid. As said before, I'll be able to judge it better when it has a personality to go with it. I'm interested in seeing how you handle that Grade D Vision.

Kind of mischievous, but overall helpful is sort of the base personality. He does weird or outlandish things and likes to pull bizarre pranks or stunts but is never purposefully malicious about it. He used to be a butler and part-time chauffeur (this is the second part of his pun name, Jeeves being a "stereotypical butler name") but absolutely hated being told what to do and where to go, so now he roams around the world offering various services. He likes to innovate in whatever it is he is doing at the moment, but he is prone to extreme tunnel-vision and over-complicated ideas. Once he has an idea in his head to solve a problem, he is unable to think of any alternate solutions. A lot of the time he'll windup creating "Rube Goldberg machine"-esque devices to perform otherwise mundane tasks. That is not to say his devices/ideas are useless, just very, very odd.

He is something of a jack-of-all trades. Sometimes he'll be selling items of his own design using wacky and bizarre economic model of his own creation (such as taking an item that is defective [and thus rare or even one-of-a-kind, in his mind] in exchange for something) or offering vague and overly complicated advice or hints on how to handle a situation (one that the player/groups might not even be aware they'll be facing [sort of like a hint guy for a future event]). Sometimes he'll even offer his services as a "Professional Combat Butler" and can join as a party member to help in exchange for some service or task to be performed by the party.

Edit:

One of his special attacks is called "Boo who?". He turns invisible/intangible for a turn, and appears behind an enemy a turn later and deals between 2-5 HP at the cost of 4FP.
gloomyMoron
gloomyMoron
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Todd Ingram Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:05 pm

That is pretty spot on with the recipe. The Mend goes well with being a helper, and the Vision and Turnabout help with the oddities he takes with it. Not entirely sure where a superiority complex comes in, but I don't doubt that you can fit it in somewhere.
Todd Ingram
Todd Ingram
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by LoganAura Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:08 pm

So, reposting Cy here because I really need help with him :I

40% Aegis
+ Steadfastness, Conviction, Security, Hope
- Pride
40% Insight
+ Confidence, Ambition, Diligence
- Arrogance, Tactlessness,
20% Ardent in a standard soul capsule
+ Love, Anger, Zeal

Cy's supposed to be a big sumo wrestler (I like chubby characters, ok?) With the drive to be the best wrestler ever, mostly for his family's sake to earn money.
Not sure if this is the best recipe for him.....
LoganAura
LoganAura
Artisan Smith
Artisan Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by gloomyMoron Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:10 pm

Todd I. wrote:That is pretty spot on with the recipe. The Mend goes well with being a helper, and the Vision and Turnabout help with the oddities he takes with it. Not entirely sure where a superiority complex comes in, but I don't doubt that you can fit it in somewhere.

It's part of why he quit those jobs. He hates to be bossed around, and he thinks his way is, generally speaking, superior to the normal way other people do things. He doesn't quite understand why someone wouldn't want a machine that takes 5 minutes to activate to start a toaster in some overly-complex way. It obviously is the most efficient way, since he thought of it. :mspa:
gloomyMoron
gloomyMoron
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Todd Ingram Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:13 pm

LoganAura wrote:So, reposting Cy here because I really need help with him :I

40% Aegis
+ Steadfastness, Conviction, Security, Hope
- Pride
40% Insight
+ Confidence, Ambition, Diligence
- Arrogance, Tactlessness,
20% Ardent in a standard soul capsule
+ Love, Anger, Zeal

Cy's supposed to be a big sumo wrestler (I like chubby characters, ok?) With the drive to be the best wrestler ever, mostly for his family's sake to earn money.
Not sure if this is the best recipe for him.....

Looks like a pretty tight recipe to me. His profile makes him seem a little lazy, which contradicts the Ardent. But the rest of his recipe is very well put together.
Todd Ingram
Todd Ingram
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by LoganAura Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:15 pm

Thanks Very Happy
Really the only reason he was lazy is to make the "Fat" part originally make sense. His Zeal and enthusiasm from it is mostly towards his family and sumo wrestiling.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Artisan Smith
Artisan Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by gloomyMoron Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:20 pm

LoganAura wrote:Thanks Very Happy
Really the only reason he was lazy is to make the "Fat" part originally make sense. His Zeal and enthusiasm from it is mostly towards his family and sumo wrestiling.

Not all fat people are lazy. Neutral Also, sumo-wrestlers tend to be big anyway. They eat right, but a lot. They are fat and muscle, both. Also, it is possible for a smaller opponent to beat a bigger one in Sumo. In fact, there was a famous yokozuna who earned his title doing just that.
gloomyMoron
gloomyMoron
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by LoganAura Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:23 pm

*Nodding* All right. I'll edit out the 'lazy' portions of his thing later, and talk about always wanting to be one, resulting in his weight.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Artisan Smith
Artisan Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by arcaneScribbler Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:53 pm

Umm, sorry to be a bother, but I'm still kind of waiting for feedback on my post from early this morning... ^_^; I honestly have no idea how to handle amounts and/or grades of Humors for my little Puni Punelipi and Jabberwonky "Jabbers" the Jabby, and could really use some help/clarification on what sorts of personalities the combos I chose make. Also, umm, should I use a Capsule for anything? And should I repost my whole sphiel about those two with their HUmors and the +-s I chose to go with them here in this post, or would that clutter the thread up with too much repeated stuff...?
arcaneScribbler
arcaneScribbler
5-Star Anvilman
5-Star Anvilman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shailsnic Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:14 am

arcaneScribbler wrote:Umm, sorry to be a bother, but I'm still kind of waiting for feedback on my post from early this morning... ^_^; I honestly have no idea how to handle amounts and/or grades of Humors for my little Puni Punelipi and Jabberwonky "Jabbers" the Jabby, and could really use some help/clarification on what sorts of personalities the combos I chose make. Also, umm, should I use a Capsule for anything? And should I repost my whole sphiel about those two with their HUmors and the +-s I chose to go with them here in this post, or would that clutter the thread up with too much repeated stuff...?

I can and will definitely help you with that in the morning. As of right now I need work I need to take care of, but when I finish it up I will go into full detail at some random point in time tomorrow about the things that can be done.
Shailsnic
Shailsnic
Artisan Smith
Artisan Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by gloomyMoron Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:27 am

arcaneScribbler wrote:Umm, sorry to be a bother, but I'm still kind of waiting for feedback on my post from early this morning... ^_^; I honestly have no idea how to handle amounts and/or grades of Humors for my little Puni Punelipi and Jabberwonky "Jabbers" the Jabby, and could really use some help/clarification on what sorts of personalities the combos I chose make. Also, umm, should I use a Capsule for anything? And should I repost my whole sphiel about those two with their HUmors and the -s I chose to go with them here in this post, or would that clutter the thread up with too much repeated stuff...?

Sorry. Haha. I am sort of bad at looking at other peoples stuff and remembering/finding specific humors to help them. What I usually do is go to the wiki and open every humor and find the ones that feel right. They help me cement the personality, as well as build upon it. I'm a very "by feelings" person, but I will try to help.

Spoiler:

Starting with the capsules. They're not necessary, but if you want to do one, then think about what it the character loves to do our wants out of life. Capsules seem to be related to their interests more than anything. The two Character Creation Thread mascots over on MSPA have capsules that reflect their interests. If you start with that, you can sort of work out how their personality will flow from there.

Going on... So, she's a compassionate type. Someone who cares for others, but who is insecure about herself. I would suggest her insecurities stem from more than just her blindness. She is unsure of herself, and how best to help those she cares for, but she tries hard anyway. She is a steadfast friend, but she can also be very stubborn about certain things. Maybe her stubbornness is there to hide her insecurities? Hmm. She is reminding me of a Nurse? Like, she is hopeful and
compassionate and wants to help others. She doesn't give up on people or
things. She is someone who inspires and is imaginative. So, a nurse who
works with children or a teacher? Those are things I can imagine her
being?

Maybe break it down like this:

30% Grade A Mend
+ Empathy
+ Compassion
- Insecurity

40% Grade B Aegis
+ Steadfast
- Stubborn

20% Grade C Concord
+ Perception
- Anxiety

10% Grade S Sublime
+ Inspiration

I'll do Jabbers next, but I'm gonna post this now. In case of a crash.
gloomyMoron
gloomyMoron
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by gloomyMoron Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:42 am

Spoiler:

A generous, compasionate, and patient soul that is hidden beneath a quirky nature. Hmm. So, an outcast. Of sorts. He seems like a writer type. Or a teacher. Probably more a teacher than anything, actually. A Philosopher? A thinker? Someone who wants to give to others in someway. Wants to reach out and help others. Perhaps Jabbers is more suited towards being a nurse or orderly than Punelipe. She'd be the teacher, he'd be the healer. Someone wants to change things for the better. A dreamer.

For humors... maybe... hmm.

20% Grade B Relief
+ Generosity
- Naivete

20% Grade A Mend
+ Empathy
+ Compassion
- Insecurity

15% Grade S Flow
+ Patience

25% Grade C Turnabout (Capsule: a needle or "staff"?)
+ Unique
- Extreme quirkiness that causes him to be shunned.

I know you said you wanted turnabout to be an accent, but if it was just an accent he'd have minimal traits that would cause him to be an outsider. He also seems to have more than a few "unique" traits that cause him to not be liked by his peers, so the Turnabout humor must be low-grade.
gloomyMoron
gloomyMoron
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by arcaneScribbler Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:58 am

I... I have the weirdest idea for her now thanks to that nurse comment, gloomyMoron... Punelipi can be a former dweller of Boggly Woods who found her way to the Soul Smith Plane with Jabbers thanks to the help of a friend who knows all sorts of secret passages (cough PUNGRY! cough)... And what she and Jabbers do is help people like that guy Clyde and Jitterbug fought who've just underwent Schism and/or been beaten up recover from the ordeal. So basically they're gonna end up as a sort of Humor-Gathering Medic/Therapist Duo...? Not shopkeepers, but suppliers. (Because now that I made the mistake of drawing them so happy-looking with 'me'/Scribbs I don't want them to go get hurt in the Mario-Plane...!! *knows full well she is probably being a mother hen over fictional characters. does not care one bit.* x.x; ))

...AAAAAAAH everything you said about Jabbers just fits this idea even MORE somehow...! O_O; That would make him the medic and her the one who calms people down in my little tentative occupation idea for them... Which fits a lot since she's blind, so it's not like she could easily pull someone off the battlefield/stage, but Jabbers could, or he's too small to actually lift them, give aid right there...

So, umm, going with your suggestions, + a little something of my own that contributes to the mix...

Umm...

Punelipi
Blind Puni (girl)

Humors:
30% Grade A Mend Mend Humor
+ Empathy
+ Compassion
- Insecurity

40% Grade B Aegis Aegis Humor
+ Steadfast
- Stubborn

20% Grade C Concord (split-mix: Vision Humor + Flow Humor )
+ Perception
- Anxiety

10% Grade S Sublime (Deluxe Capsule: Note of Sublime) Here's what I added~ (split-mix: Vision Humor + Shine Humor )
+ Inspiration
+ Imagination

Jabberwonky "Jabbers"
GroundBound Jabbi (boy)

Humors:
20% Grade B Relief (split-mix: Flow Humor + Mend Humor )
+ Generosity
- Naivete

20% Grade A Mend Mend Humor
+ Empathy
+ Compassion
- Insecurity

15% Grade S Flow Flow Humor
+ Patience

25% Grade C Turnabout (Standard Capsule, custom shape: pencil needle/spike-thingy?) Turnabout Humor
+ Unique
- Extreme quirkiness that causes him to be shunned (including the acrophobia)

Does that work...?

Edit: Looking back, I find it kind of hilarious that Jabbers's Humors are THIS:

( Flow Humor + Mend Humor ), Mend Humor , Flow Humor , Turnabout Humor

Except for Turnabout, they're just a Split-Mix AND ITS COMPONENTS. How did I not NOTICE that when I was coming up with this...? x.x;

Last edited by arcaneScribbler on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
arcaneScribbler
arcaneScribbler
5-Star Anvilman
5-Star Anvilman

Back to top Go down

Post by gloomyMoron Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:04 am

Seems fine to me, but others should give feed back too. Also, nothing wrong with being protective with your characters. I'm a writer at heart though, so that means I'm a dick to mine (sometimes). :mspa:

And that actually works really well. They run some sort of rehabilitation clinic on the Smithsplane that offers services to Smiths who specialize in Schisms.
gloomyMoron
gloomyMoron
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by arcaneScribbler Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:28 am

...Where they are protectively watched over by Scribbs, who probably would therefore own it or be the records-keeper or something. Very Happy I'll wait for others to give feedback like you suggested, but I really, REALLY like this idea so far!
arcaneScribbler
arcaneScribbler
5-Star Anvilman
5-Star Anvilman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shailsnic Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:25 am

Well, done with that work, let's see what I can get do- oh?

...Huh, counselors for those who've undergone SCHISM? That's an interesting concept you've got going on there. I'd imagine the characters WOULD feel pretty shaken up after that. They'd probably need someone or something to talk to about their problems. (Might want to get a confirmation on that with gS later, I'm unsure as to if the characters would need some sort of consolation after going through SCHISM, I might just be forgetting though.)

The relationship between the duo and Scribbs sorta reminds me of the relationship I have with my Bob-omb, mentally at least, I haven't actually gotten around to creating anything based off that relationship. So of course I am supportive of that.

I can't really give a proper analysis of the Recipes at the moment, it's kinda late over here. I might send you the analysis over a PM or something later today.

In my personal opinion, you've definitely got the hang of things when it comes to creating these two characters, glad I could lend a hand where I could near the beginning. It'll be nice to see the things that are created from the existence of these two.
Shailsnic
Shailsnic
Artisan Smith
Artisan Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by arcaneScribbler Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:41 am

AAAAAAAAAAAH THANK YOU SHAIL.

Umm, so, are you saying you wanna ask him about that, or that I should? Because I probably will eventually... The comic needs more Punis. :leafcard: All of the Punis. All (101/102 counting Punelipi) of them.

I sort of got the idea from the fact that GS is the owner of the shop that Anabelle (who I assume is one of his creations?) runs~... Not all creations need to be for the Mario-Plane~!

Next up to create... is... S-Scribbs, I guess? o.o;; Think I might hold off on that one for a while, need to polish Punelipi and Jabbers until I'm satisfied that they're ready to go! Very Happy
arcaneScribbler
arcaneScribbler
5-Star Anvilman
5-Star Anvilman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shailsnic Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:56 am

It's your decision really on who should ask. Personally I'm sorta curious as well.

As for what to do next, make a backstory. How did they meet? How were their lives before they met? What happened during their meet with Pungry? etc. etc.

Another thing you might want to do is flesh them out a bit, give them things such as likes, dislikes, hates, fears, etc. develop them further as characters!
Shailsnic
Shailsnic
Artisan Smith
Artisan Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by arcaneScribbler Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:40 am

Let's both ask maybe?

......AAAAAAAAAAGH NO STOP IT SELF STOP THINKING I HAVE HOMEWORK TO DO AAAAGH....

Jabbers was constantly bullied. Punelipi was either blind at birth or badly near-sighted, and thus would always stick close to her parents so she wouldn't get lost. Pungry is her cousin and 'black-eyes buddy'. When he said his usual 'close your eyes' sphiel when sending them through the passage to SoulSmiths'-Plane, Punelipi interrupted and finished the sentence/speech for him, the two having a bit of a laugh at a very confused Jabberwonky's expense.

Punelipi's parents were eaten by a Pider when she was little, Jabbers stumbled upon her hiding place while absconding from his most recent session of being harassed by his peers who thought that grabbing him, forcing him up to the highest part of a room (a branch or something) inside the Great Tree that they could reach, and then shoving him off was funny.

If she was not born blind, then the Pider injured her eyes and made her blind. Punelipi, being blind, had no idea that the voice asking her what she was doing in that bush/cranny/whatever belonged to, not a fellow Puni, but a Jabbi (finally looked it up and realized I've been mispelling Jabbi this entire time. Oops.), so she answered, and they started talking, and once Jabbers coaxed her out of there he helped carry her home to the Puni Tribe because she'd also hurt her leg (plus BLIND).

So began a wonderful friendship. The weight Jabbers wears was Punelipi's idea, by the way.

Okay, likes and dislikes and stuff...

Well, first, Punelipi, and before likes/dislikes, her insecurities: blindness, 'being useless', having a multicolored antenna ball, having weird markings

okay. Likes: ...............................ummmm.... okay, I'm way too tired for this right now... maybe later...
arcaneScribbler
arcaneScribbler
5-Star Anvilman
5-Star Anvilman

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Combusken Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:47 pm

Captain Combusken wrote:Hey, I got some characters to show you.
Workshop Thread: For characters in the works! - Page 3 Souls1Workshop Thread: For characters in the works! - Page 3 Souls2
Spoiler:

I'll add their backgrounds and more detailed personalities later, I just wanted to get opinions on their look and their humors. I guess I posted it here because I consider them complete.
Crossposted from the Critique thread on the advice of Todd.

Oh, and I've also done three of the biographies/personalities.

Chi
Spoiler:

Myco
Spoiler:

Cooper
Spoiler:
Captain Combusken
Captain Combusken
Junior Smith
Junior Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Todd Ingram Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:49 pm

I like Chi. That sort of "inspiration to be a hero as a youth" effect works well for him here. I'm a little curious as to why he became a sort of private eye as opposed to a crime-fighter, or something closer to what Mario is. While he's got the values and morals for it, doesn't he want something with a little more prestige?

Myco has a good use of Vision in a way that's not necessarily creative, instead imbuing focus and tunnel vision. The grades for the humors here confuse me a little bit. You have a lot of positive traits from Logos, but the humor is only D grade. Maybe playing with those a bit will result in a better final picture.

Cooper confuses me a little bit. I feel like his personality is seperated into each of the three humors he's composed of, rather than being a give-and-take mix of the traits of each. He's got the laid-backness of Flow, the optimism/gullibility of Shine, and the go-getterness of Sanguine, but they aren't really tied into each other well. Maybe use his laziness as an excuse for his gullibility, like he's too lazy to make sure something isn't a prank. You did mention his optimism during the Sanguine exposition, which I liked. Just try to tie the humors together more rather than exposit on each seperately.

Todd Ingram
Todd Ingram
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Combusken Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:59 pm

Chi: He definitely WANTS to be more than he is. It's just hard to find anything that is that major. Helping solve crime is the closest he can manage.

Myco: I added Memory in the description for some reason. I think my reasoning tends to be if there's more negatives than positives, it's D, if there's the same number but not all three then C, if there's the same number and all are included or there's one more positive than negative then Grade B, and better than that is Grade A. I guess Memory now makes it Grade C.

Cooper: I do need some work on this. I want him to be a kind of lazy comic character, like Gamzee except not insane. Sort of chilled and Happy. And I want him to be able to cheer people up. I think I only added the Sanguine because I wanted Contentment and Detatchment? But then Moxie appealed to me and I thought I should integrate it somehow because it would work with reasoning as to why he is a guard?
Captain Combusken
Captain Combusken
Junior Smith
Junior Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next