Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Critique thread: For finished characters!

+12
arcaneScribbler
BigBurkhart
Purple Walrus
Eversor
CrimsonMage
Captain Combusken
Shailsnic
sournote103
gloomyMoron
Unclever title
Harvest Ty
Todd Ingram
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Critique thread: For finished characters! - Page 2 Empty Re: Critique thread: For finished characters!

Post by Todd Ingram Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:32 pm

Don't get me wrong, Watson's a good character. It's just that his recipe could be tooled a bit to fit his personality better. The relief/logos swap you mentioned in your previous post would probably do him some good.
Todd Ingram
Todd Ingram
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Critique thread: For finished characters! - Page 2 Empty Re: Critique thread: For finished characters!

Post by sournote103 Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:34 pm

Todd I. wrote:Don't get me wrong, Watson's a good character. It's just that his recipe could be tooled a bit to fit his personality better. The relief/logos swap you mentioned in your previous post would probably do him some good.

I will definitely do that later. Thank you for your help!
sournote103
sournote103
Senior Smith
Senior Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Unclever title Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:01 pm

Webster's page has been updated with more information. In fact it made more sense to separate the bulk of his backstory out of his Personality/Interests section so I added a Background section.

Todd I. wrote:A Venture Capitalist Koopa. In itself, that's pretty impressive.

More specifically, I really like his design as well as his recipe. I feel like his profile could go a little more detailed in describing his personality as opposed to his backstory (maybe a little more on how his Ardent and Sanguine factors into him besides his background as a gamblin' man/turtle). But what's there is very good, and it can only get better.

Thanks! I've had the idea for a Business Bro ever since I saw them on the species list of the Mario Wiki. The image of a koopa throwing staplers and paperweights at his foes was too funny for my brain not to imagine it!

For Webster's humor profile I was mostly looking through the pages on the humors looking at the positive and negative traits trying to decide what would work together to create a character prone to behavioral addiction. Ardent provides passion and zeal helping to add in that rush when risks bring back rewards and Sanguine worked well for giving the courage to take those risks. Add in a dash of logos for obsession and a hat full of shine for an optimistic attitude and dangerous gullibility and you end up with someone who's negative traits can make him a real danger to himself and others.

As I was typing this out I realized his love of money was really more arbitrary and circumstantial than anything else so really it gives him the possibility to completely turn his life around if he could ever focus himself on something, or rather somebody, worthwhile. So he kind of turned out to be romantic comedy fuel. And I have no problems with that.
Unclever title
Unclever title
Junior Smith
Junior Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Purple Walrus Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:14 pm

So I know I posted these in the last workshop thread , but it's a new forum so why not. :bbmspa:

Feebie

Disco Head

Let me know what you guys think. The Face

Purple Walrus
Purple Walrus
Junior Smith
Junior Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBurkhart Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:45 pm

Spoiler:

I made this guy 9 months ago and never bothered to do much with him. I have a small backstory, but nothing in the way of humors. I want to make more creepy Shy Guys.
BigBurkhart
BigBurkhart
Long, robotic arm of the law

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvest Ty Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:55 pm

You should probably move him over to the other thread since his humor profile isn't even finishdd. :'o
Harvest Ty
Harvest Ty
Schism Rustler
Schism Rustler

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBurkhart Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:00 pm

I'm not GOING to finish it. That's the point. He's intentionally left a mystery.

I'm more or less asking people what their initial impressions are of him.
BigBurkhart
BigBurkhart

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvest Ty Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:19 pm

Ah okay sorry I guess I just misinterpreted the post. >->"
Harvest Ty
Harvest Ty
Schism Rustler
Schism Rustler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shailsnic Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:44 pm

BigBurkhart wrote:I'm not GOING to finish it. That's the point. He's intentionally left a mystery.

I'm more or less asking people what their initial impressions are of him.

Ah, alright, my bad dude. Sorry for berating ya in the livestream by the way. It was a mistake on my part.

My initial expression of him is that of a guy who runs around, causes mischief, intentionally ruins things while other people can't see, and he loves every bit of it.
Shailsnic
Shailsnic
Artisan Smith
Artisan Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Todd Ingram Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:37 pm

The one thing that gets me is that the mask is the only thing that you changed. Everything else is still just normal Shy Guy colors.

I think it could be interesting, but feel free to take more liberties with the design.
Todd Ingram
Todd Ingram
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by arcaneScribbler Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:09 pm

...Can Pudini hire him for his theme park? No, seriously, this Shy Guy with the pumpkin mask looks like it would be a great uniform for Shy Guys in a sppoky theme park. ^.^;
arcaneScribbler
arcaneScribbler
5-Star Anvilman
5-Star Anvilman

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBurkhart Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:36 pm

arcaneScribbler wrote:...Can Pudini hire him for his theme park? No, seriously, this Shy Guy with the pumpkin mask looks like it would be a great uniform for Shy Guys in a sppoky theme park. ^.^;

Phanto mask, and while it might be possible, it might not be a good idea if patrons start mysteriously disappearing. Back away, Tripsy

Looking back, I think I found a way to compromise. I don't want to give away too much, but not giving any information is indeed kinda dickish. I'll be back later with something.
BigBurkhart
BigBurkhart

Back to top Go down

Post by arcaneScribbler Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:23 am

BigBurkhart wrote:
arcaneScribbler wrote:...Can Pudini hire him for his theme park? No, seriously, this Shy Guy with the pumpkin mask looks like it would be a great uniform for Shy Guys in a sppoky theme park. ^.^;

Phanto mask, and while it might be possible, it might not be a good idea if patrons start mysteriously disappearing. Back away, Tripsy

Looking back, I think I found a way to compromise. I don't want to give away too much, but not giving any information is indeed kinda dickish. I'll be back later with something.

....What's a Phanto Mask?
arcaneScribbler
arcaneScribbler
5-Star Anvilman
5-Star Anvilman

Back to top Go down

Post by gloomyMoron Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:26 am

arcaneScribbler wrote:....What's a Phanto Mask?

Phanto are enemies form Doki Doki Panic... I mean, Super Mario Bros 2. (USA) >.>
gloomyMoron
gloomyMoron
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by arcaneScribbler Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:34 am

...Ohhhh.
arcaneScribbler
arcaneScribbler
5-Star Anvilman
5-Star Anvilman

Back to top Go down

Post by turtleOracle Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:13 am

They really love keys.

Don't steal em.

Don't.

Just.

Don't

Back away, Tripsy
turtleOracle
turtleOracle
Junior Smith
Junior Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by arcaneScribbler Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:32 am

...What if there was a Phanto who hated keys?
arcaneScribbler
arcaneScribbler
5-Star Anvilman
5-Star Anvilman

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBurkhart Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:24 pm

arcaneScribbler wrote:...What if there was a Phanto who hated keys?

They probably all hate keys. It's what tethers them to this world, keeping them imprisoned as guardians. The only thing that they hate more than keys are intruders that try to steal the keys away.

...Just a little speculation, though.
BigBurkhart
BigBurkhart

Back to top Go down

Post by awfulAlliteration Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:54 pm

I mentioned this guy in the Workshop Thread a while back.

Spoiler:

He's a Shayde businessman named Sham. He's the kind of dude who hangs out in back alleys and sells watches to unsuspecting folks. I'm working on a backstory right now, but I want to know what everyone thinks of him right now?

EDIT: I GUESS I SHOULD ELABORATE ON HIS HUMOR PROFILE HA HA HA Facepalm

35% Insight

+ Confidence
+ Ambition
- Tactless

35% Logos

+ Intelligence
+ Fast-thinking
- Obsessive
- Arrogant

20% Turnabout

+ Quirky
- Kind of sleazy

10% Vision

+ Creativity
- Tunnel vision

Last edited by awfulAlliteration on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
awfulAlliteration
awfulAlliteration
Novice Smith
Novice Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonMage Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:58 pm

Personally, I really like the fact that the Humors extend outside of his outline. It really gives him a "spectral" feel to him. Other than that I have no idea.
CrimsonMage
CrimsonMage
Artisan Smith
Artisan Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by awfulAlliteration Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:11 pm

CrimsonMage wrote:Personally, I really like the fact that the Humors extend outside of his outline. It really gives him a "spectral" feel to him. Other than that I have no idea.

That was a design choice I had some trouble with. A Shayde's body parts seem to float apart from each other, but if I'd only filled them in, he'd look like he had a very small amount of Humors in him. I decide on the more "spectral" look to better illustrate his Humor balance.
awfulAlliteration
awfulAlliteration
Novice Smith
Novice Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBurkhart Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:01 am

Ok, I think I found a good way to get the personality across. Instead of a humor profile, have a short story. trueBug is gonna wring my neck for not following her advice. ._.

Here's the story.

And here's the photo in the file:
BigBurkhart
BigBurkhart

Back to top Go down

Post by truebug Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:20 am

You really should pick one tense and stick with it. That's pretty much a rule of prose. Go with present OR future -- don't mix them up, man.

Wouldn't this also be better suited for the fan works thread, if it's not a character profile? I'm not getting any personality from it -- just further affirmation that the phanto guy is spooky and mysterious.
truebug
truebug
Conspirator
Conspirator

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBurkhart Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:29 am

Yeah. That's kinda the problem I'm having. Nope nope nope

It's hard to preserve mystery in a character profile. Plus, I write in the past tense so much that sometimes I do it when I'm intending to write in present tense without even realizing it. Ugh.
BigBurkhart
BigBurkhart

Back to top Go down

Post by Todd Ingram Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:48 am

Well, then this thread probably isn't the best place to showcase this character.

While he is "finished", per se, if he's going to remain a mystery than there's not much we can do for you here. I agree that taking the story to Fan Works can result in some better critique for that, at least.
Todd Ingram
Todd Ingram
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next