Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Schism Clinic idea?

3 posters

Go down

Schism Clinic idea? Empty Schism Clinic idea?

Post by arcaneScribbler Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:34 pm

Note: I know there's already a thread concerning a fan-EGO Shop out there, but I felt that, A, dropping this huge text-wall into someone else's thread would be rude, and B, considering the meat of this post consists of a flood of potentially-quite-deep questions, there is NO way this isn't going to sprout some speculation and discussion and taking over a thread someone else made specifically to get feedback on their idea is even MORE rude. Also, doing it like this is more organized to me.

Okay, so, here's my big(?) idea. My Puni-and-Jabbi pair of characters aren't quite finished yet (not in my opinion, anyway), but I've been considering having them run a shop/clinic of some kind on the SoulSmith-plane, possibly devoted to dealing with the aftermath of schisms and other such things. If it ever became a thing in-comic, it probably wouldn't happen for quite a while, but hey, this forum was made so we'd have a place to speculate and chatter to our hearts' content, right? Might as well have fun with it! So, here's the basics of it...

Potential (terrible) Establishment Name: Schism Fixers
Run By:
Punelipi:
She'd be the "therapist"/"psychiatrist"/"councilor" thingy? Pretty much the emotional/mental healer. She's definitely not a physical-type doctor except for maaaybe physical therapy involving a lot of touch-based work (example: massage therapy) or working with fellow blind people.

Really, both Punelipi and Jabbers are probably really good with disabled people (and people with phobias) in general because they will never ever EVER make the Number One Mistake In The Book: pitying them. I personally believe that people will always, always prefer respect/understanding over pity, regardless of their reasons (for example, pride). Punelipi isn't going to pity a somehow-'handicapped' person for being 'handicapped' because she herself is 'handicapped' and understands both what it's like to live that way and what it's like to be pitied for it (she doesn't like being pitied either, btw). Jabbers isn't going to pity someone blabla same as Punelipi because A, his best friend is 'handicapped' and functions just fine and B, in a sense he's self-handicapped. The weight he wears limits his range/ability to fly. The same goes for insecurities and phobias-- Jabbers has acrophobia and was constantly harrassed for being different by his peers day in and day out, ALL Punies are instinctively absolutely terrified by Piders, Punelipi 'looks funny' and her only way of getting a sense of what a person 'looks' like is by feeling the shape of their body with her antenna-ball (explanation for that in a spoiler between this stuff and the question-wall), the list goes on and on. ...Wow, this turned into a ramble fast... ^.^; N-next!

Jabberwonky/"Jabbers":
He would be the medic/doctor, and maybe a sort of teacher-ish thing, too. As for a Jabbi being in any sort of medical profession as a member of a species that lacks hands, hey, he's just very versatile in using his beak (yes, I know Jabbies are meant to be mosquito-like and not bird-like, but I still can't help but see it as a beak and not a proboscis). Well, to be more precise, if this clinic is for physical ailments as well as just psychological ones, he would be the doctor. If it's all psych, he'd have the same sort of role as Punelipi.

Scribbs/character-AS/character-arcaneScribbler:
Yeah, somehow my Soul Smith self gained a life of her own from all the ideas I'm getting for her from using her in Logan's RP thread... ^_^; The potential dynamics of having a Soul Smith character who's protective of her creations are just WAY too interesting for me to pass up a chance at playing with the idea at least a little.
Anyway, she'd sort of be in the background, probably as either/both the shop/clinic owner (like character-GS) or/and the one in charge of records/management...

...Unless she ends up as receptionist by default because Punies and Jabbies are tiny and either wouldn't be seen over the counter/desk or wouldn't be taken seriously by clients-- plus, now that I'm thinking about it, if they're the 'doctors' of the clinic they can't really pull double-duty as receptionists as well; it wouldn't make sense and probably isn't feasible given the requirements of either task/occupation/role.

Explanation about why Punelipi uses her antenna-ball to 'feel people's faces' in the spoiler:
Spoiler:

Okay, enough rambling and character babble, time for the actual meat of this thing. The idea of having a clinic to deal with the aftermath of Schisms is all well and good, but not without a reason for it to be there in the first place, after all. Here comes all the reasoning (read: slew of questions) that led to this idea in the first place.

All the questions. All of them:

-What happens if a Soul Smith (hopefully) accidentally alters a soul's recipe during/after/as a result of Schism? Can this be fixed/mended/treated?

-Do characters ever need help recovering from, say, a particularly bad Schism, and/or a Schism that occurred during battle (like the guy Clyde and Jitterbug fought)?

-Do soul smiths ever experience Schism?

-What would happen to a character if they experienced a Schism without a soul smith available/close by enough to stabilize the Humor surge?

-Are there special 'emergency'/'EMT'-type teams out there to deal with just such a situation?

-What about Soul Smiths who specialize in gathering Humors from Schisms and, perhaps, serve as, if not the main suppliers of, at least a contributing factor to, shops such as Humor Me? ((BTW this is pretty much my idea of what Scribbs probably specializes in and has been ever since I decided to give her a subconscious sort of Schism Radar during Logan's RP))

-How does Schism affect a character's psyche?

-Can a Schism simultaneously occur with/to two or more characters at once (for example, perhaps from a RelationShift gone horribly wrong)? How would that affect them and/or their relationship(s)?

-Do individuals who have just endured both a harrowing battle and a Schism have a higher chance of, say, getting ill due to the heightened physical and mental stress?

-There have to be at least SOME less-ethical or more-careless soul smiths out there... Are there institutions in place to deal with people like them? Are there institutions in place to deal with the repercussions of badly-done/handled Schisms?

-Is it possible to be injured during the soul smithing process (for either/both the smith and/or the creation)?

-Can unstable/volatile Humor mixes explode or otherwise cause injury?

-Are broken/damaged templates still usable? Would characters with a damaged template as their foundation require regular medical care/check-ups/etc. to maintain good health?

-Can Schisms cause physical harm?

-Just what sorts of effects can Mods have on a character?

-((in concern to the question directly above this)) Ethics, ethics, ethics!

-Do characters with Turnabout in their recipe ever need a sort of safe haven or someone to talk to/etc.?

-What happens to "failed"/"unstable" characters who don't die/spontaneously combust/cease to exist/etc.? Is there somewhere for these individuals to go? Sort of like therapy or a "special education system" for "defective" characters? Can these characters, with help/therapy, be stabilized/be at least better able to function in life/society?

...And that's all of 'em-- for now... Nope, not letting myself come up with any more at the moment, I think it's been at least half-an-hour-to-an-hour since I started writing this post, and a big chunk of it was copy-pasted to begin with! I like to type up ideas and stuff using WordPad if I'm not writing them by hand, as well as list/chart things, so there's less of a chance of me suddenly losing an hour's worth of typing because of Internet-related mishaps...
Spoiler:

...Should I stick the questions inside a spoiler, by the way? ...Yeah, done with this post for real now, have fun tearing into this shiny new speculation-thingy. *hides*
arcaneScribbler
arcaneScribbler
5-Star Anvilman
5-Star Anvilman

Back to top Go down

Schism Clinic idea? Empty Re: Schism Clinic idea?

Post by Harvest Ty Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:44 pm

This is awesome and It'd be cool to see these all answered someday. :'O

:cuteshyla:
Harvest Ty
Harvest Ty
Schism Rustler
Schism Rustler

Back to top Go down

Post by CrimsonMage Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:07 am

This really is a great idea with a lot of great questions. While I'm not sure if this will become canon, it's a great fan-idea for sure.
CrimsonMage
CrimsonMage
Artisan Smith
Artisan Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by arcaneScribbler Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:32 am

...Also Cherri would work at the clinic if it existed. Because she is perfect for it. And a mysterious Tanooki-eared individual leaves treats and goodies for the patients every so often.
arcaneScribbler
arcaneScribbler
5-Star Anvilman
5-Star Anvilman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum